Symphony on the Prairie at Conner Prairie is off to a great start this summer! The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and guests perform every weekend of the summer from June 16th through September 3rd. I recently shared an post at VisitHamiltonCo with what you should Know Before You Go. I wanted to share a few more tips here that I’ve learned from going the past couple years.
Symphony on the Prairie at Conner Prairie
5 Things You Should Know about Symphony on the Prairie
I have linked our favorite items to bring to Symphony on the Prairie with affiliate links. I will only promote items we use and love on DIY Mama. This is not a sponsored post.
- Ride Your Bike- If you’re close enough and have good safety lights/reflectors on your bike you should consider riding to the concert. You will be able to easily bypass parking traffic on entering and exiting the venue. We were able to pile all of our necessities in the bike trailer with our daughter and it made for a special little spot for her to play with toys when she got restless.
- Get up close- It’s often intimidating to get up close to the orchestra members during a performance at the Hilbert Theater. At Conner Prairie you have the chance to show your children the performers in action by getting close to the stage. Check out the Teddy Bear series for preschoolers as well as Community Concerts (free) where families can learn more about playing in the orchestra.
- BYOT- Bring your own treats! Although Conner Prairie has concessions at the event, there’s nothing like packing your own picnic for an outdoor concert. I’ve seen everything from people bringing in Jimmy John’s to people setting up a table with candles, linens and place settings for a gourmet meal! Our favorite treats are chicken salad on croissants, potato salad, frozen grapes and chocolate covered strawberries.
- Bring the fun- Symphony on the Prairie is a great chance to introduce young children to the arts. It’s a wide open area for children to be able to dance and sing as they wish. We like to bring light up toys like Lite Brite or Crayola Light Up Drawing Pad. If we know we’re in a kid zone or it’s an especially kid friendly event, we’ll break out the light up balloons and glow necklaces.
- Let your family choose- Check the Symphony on the Prairie series lineup and ask your family which ones they want to attend. The ISO performs their top concerts each year (John Williams and Beatles) so if you aren’t able to attend multiple you won’t miss out. The Star Spangled Symphony is an awesome event. Very kid friendly and they have an amazing firework show.
Tickets can be purchased at ISO online or at central Indiana Kroger locations. Accessible parking is available with golf cart transportation to and from the gates. For more information, please contact the Hilbert Circle Theatre Box Office at 317.639.4300. Be sure to tag photos with #SOTP and #DiscoverCP and enjoy the show!